Enter your Email to Sign up for Dr. Joey's Today's Story


Powered by FeedBlitz

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

"Do you expect others to be Carnac?"


When comedian Johnny Carson was on American television, he created a character he called "Carnac the Magnificent." Carnac was a mind-reader. He could place an envelope up against his turban, respond to what was written on the paper in it, and then open it and read the item.

What’s not so hilarious is how many people expect their coworkers, friends, and family members to be like Carnac. This is my third decade of coaching individuals, couples, and teams, and I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard, "If he really loved, he’d know what to do" or "I’m the boss. They should read my mind" or some other expression of expectation without declaration. I even hear some people say of God, "If God knows everything, then I should just get what I want."

And here’s my standard response to those who want others to read their mind, to an expectation without declaration: "If you want something, you have to ask to receive it." As you ask, you declare your expectation and move closer to realizing it. So today ask God for what you want and then listen to life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home