Enter your Email to Sign up for Dr. Joey's Today's Story


Powered by FeedBlitz

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

"Do you just cry sometimes?"

“Joey,” my mother said on the phone. “Honey, your Granddaddy passed away this morning.”

I’ve tried before and there’s no easy way to give or receive this kind of news. You just have to cry when you get a phone call like this.

It’s okay to cry sometimes. In fact, some medical doctors say it’s therapeutic, releasing good chemicals into your body. And wouldn’t it be sad if no one cried when someone dies?

My grandfather positively influenced my life in so many ways. Sure, I didn’t want to see him suffering anymore. It was his turn and I wouldn’t ask God to bring him back today because I loved him too much to be selfish with his life. But I still miss him. I miss his laughter, his cock-eyed grin, his wisdom, his self-assured ways that weren’t cocky, but inspired confidence that I would actually live through whatever what was happening.

So yea, I cried. And I still do sometimes. And you know what? It’s okay to cry sometimes as you listen to life. God cries with you when you do.

2 Comments:

At 9:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for reminding me that crying is "permissible" and good for us at times. I have done a great deal of this year, having lost my precious 95 year old mother on January 27th. Your "Do you just cry sometimes?" lesson on life was just what was needed and especially as we go into the holiday season. God Bless you for listening to our Lord and writing what HE asks of you!

 
At 11:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not only is it "permissible" to cry, but it is a wonderful thing God has given us. There is something fantastic about tears of joy that can't be restrained. There is something healing about tears of pain that must be shed to move on. There is something soothing about tears of loving remembrance. My favorite tears of all I think are those "holy ghost" tears, the ones that are for you and God. Sometimes the church may see them, but you and God are in communion so close you couldn't not cry if you had to. I heard a song tonight about giving testimony with the tears streaming and all you could say was "oh, my, glory, glory, glory" ain't that the truth?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home