Enter your Email to Sign up for Dr. Joey's Today's Story


Powered by FeedBlitz

Thursday, November 03, 2005

"Do you divide life?"

A parent told me a story recently about their daughter and dinner. It seems that one of their table rules is that if you want to have dessert, you first have to eat all of the food on your plate. Sounds reasonable, right?

Well, their daughter who’s about five, had not eaten all of the food on her plate. She put down her fork anyway, stuck out her stomach, patted it, and said, “Oh me, I’m full.”

Her mother then said, “Oh, well if you’re full, and you haven’t cleaned your plate, I guess you don’t want any dessert.” She was trying to avoid going to war over dessert again.

The little girl just kept patting her stomach, and said, "Yes, I do want dessert.”

And the mother said, “Oh, but you’re full, remember?”

“Well,” the daughter, “the dinner side of my stomach is full, but the dessert side is empty.”

Do you divide life like this little girl does? Into the sweet situations you think you can handle and the rest for God? Let God have all of you as you listen to life and make a life, not just a living.

2 Comments:

At 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am copying this devotion to send to my niece for her birthday!! It meant so much to me and brought back memories of her when she was little. She would make the comment about her food tummy being full. I enjoy your column and use it as a part of my daily devotions. Thank you for all you are doing to spread His message.

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Listen To Life said...

That's what these stories do--they bring back memories/stories from your life, touching those special places deep within you that get layered over most days with the "busy-ness" of just making a living!

Thanks for sharing these stories so others can do the same!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home