Enter your Email to Sign up for Dr. Joey's Today's Story


Powered by FeedBlitz

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

"Do you listen to life at the table?"

I was talking recently with our daughter about her college experience and how it was going. Everything was great until she started telling me about the food.

“Daddy,” she said, “the food isn’t very good. I mean the meat isn’t really meat. I miss Mama’s cooking.”

“I remember,” I said. “My college didn’t cook like my Mama, either.”

“Well, it’s more than just the food,” she said.

I knew what she meant there, too. She meant she missed sitting around the table talking about her day and listening to her sister describe her day and her mother and me doing the same. She meant that there’s something intimate about sitting around a big oak table and sharing life along with the roast beef and potatoes. That laughter around the table sweetens the carrots and opinions shared spice up the salsa. That something besides eating takes place there. We pass spiritual nourishment as well.Listen to life around the table today as you make a life, not just a living.

1 Comments:

At 9:49 AM, Blogger Listen To Life said...

Me, too, Lea. In fact, during the summer, I buy some books I'm interested in reading and save them for the "shorter-days" late fall/winter. After we get the horses in and the yellow Labs settled, I slip on my pj's and sit down with one of those good books!

Isn't being a human BEING nice?

Bless you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home