Enter your Email to Sign up for Dr. Joey's Today's Story


Powered by FeedBlitz

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

"What would you say if you knew?"


A few months back, I had the opportunity to stand by an open grave as a family member was buried. His death was sudden and unexpected. And as I stood there, my mind flooded with all the times I wished I had called him just to say “Hi!” Not that I had anything particular or special to say. Just “Hi!”

And then I thought about all of the birthday cards I didn’t send. The “just because” notes I didn’t write. The times I didn’t check in with him to see how life was treating him.

And I decided that maybe I wasn’t crying for him, but for me. For the lost opportunities while he was here. The words left unsaid. The deeds left undone.

So standing there, watching the sandy soil fill his grave and cover his casket, I made a decision—I’m not living like that anymore. I am now saying all of the words, some to people I haven’t spoken with in thirty years. I am now doing for others rather than waiting until later.

God showed me another way to make a life while standing at that grave. And I’m listening now. What about you?

1 Comments:

At 10:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sad to say I have had that exact experience not once but twice in the last 3 1/2 years, I've lost a nephew and a neice (brother and sister at ages 22 and 21, respectively).

I have made a point to talk to strangers, keep in closer contact with family, smile even though my day isn't going as well as I want just in hopes someone else will smile, don't sweat the small stuff, and most of life is small sutff. God is the only way I got through it and I thank him often for putting them in my life for the time we had.

Thank you Dr. Joey for doing what you do, it is greatly appreciated.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home