Enter your Email to Sign up for Dr. Joey's Today's Story


Powered by FeedBlitz

Monday, September 22, 2008

"What’s a number anyway?"


My parents celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary one month ago today. I sat down with my dad before the dinner party started and asked him, "So what does it feel like to be married for fifty years?"

He said, "You’re married 25, almost 26 years. What does that feel like?"

I said, "Well, it happened far quicker than I thought it would."

"Fifty years feels that way, too," he said.

"It’s really nice to have 26 years of experiences with the same person because we can tell stories to each other, remembering when, and revel in the memories. I don’t think you can replace that," I said.

"Fifty years feels that way, too," he said.

"And we share a lot of joy and pride in our daughters," I said.

"Your mom and I feel that way about you and your brother," he said. "And here’s my point: 50 is just a number that means you’ve enjoyed more of the good stuff of life." When he said that, I got it.

Don’t see your number of years through chronological eyes. Listen to your life years for the good stuff you enjoy while making a life, not just a living.

To discover how you can Stay Married for 50 years and longer, go to www.StayMarriedForever.org.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home