Enter your Email to Sign up for Dr. Joey's Today's Story


Powered by FeedBlitz

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

"Do you even enjoy the detours?"


I was driving to spend some time with a coaching client. It was a nice day and all was going well as I drove along the recently paved four-lane highway. I had some of my favorite tunes playing, the sunroof open blowing through what’s left of my hair, the sun massaging my neck with Vitamin D—it was a good day.

I picked up my directions from the seat beside me and glanced at them, and then at my phone’s clock. "Yep, right on time," I thought, took the next exit, turned left and headed off…

…in the wrong direction. I didn’t realize it until about 10 minutes further down the road when I was due to arrive at the restaurant…and it wasn’t there. So I pulled over, read the directions again, noted that I should have turned right, not left, and headed back up the road.

I called my client to let him know I’d be late and he was, too. I was aggravated with myself, until I thought, "It’s going to take the same amount of time to get there whether I’m aggravated or not." So I cranked up the tunes, enjoyed the sunshine and made a life, not just a living all the way there.

1 Comments:

At 11:01 AM, Blogger Harriet said...

I can remember when our children were growing up, if we got lost on the way to somewhere or were planning a surprise destination, we would just say we were going "on an adventure." We'd eventually get to where we were going, but we enjoyed the adventure along the way. To this day, our now grown children still refer to getting lost as going on an adventure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home