Enter your Email to Sign up for Dr. Joey's Today's Story


Powered by FeedBlitz

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

"Do you really listen to life?"


The idea of listening to life is really revolutionary. For instance, the next time you’re in a conversation with someone, pay attention to the way your mind runs while the other person talks. Typically, it runs to what you’re going to talk about next, rarely genuinely listening until the person finishes. And usually your next words have to do with you.

For instance, if I’m listening to someone talk about his daughter, I can’t wait to talk about one of my daughters. Or, if the other person is talking about a subject, I can hardly contain myself until he takes a breath so I can break in and show my expertise.

Of course, it isn’t always expertise I’m sharing. As someone once said, "Knowing nothing about a topic never keeps me from talking about it."

Today, when you’re in a conversation with someone, listen completely to what he’s saying. Follow up her comments with a question or comment about what she just said, not about yourself. Watch as these people enjoy your listening and begin listening to you better in return.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home