Enter your Email to Sign up for Dr. Joey's Today's Story


Powered by FeedBlitz

Monday, March 07, 2005

Do you ask "Why"?

There’s something I don’t understand. Why is it that where I live on the East Coast, when there’s a forecast of snow, people rush to the grocery stores to buy bread and milk?

It’s not like we get snowed in for days at a time. If I’m rushing to the grocery store for anything when it snows, then it’s going to be something besides bread and milk. I can live without bread and milk. Toilet paper, now that’s a different matter. With a wife and two daughters, I am much more likely to run out of toilet paper than I am bread or milk. And what about batteries so in case the electricity goes out, I can see at night and won’t break a toe on the end table? And what about a can of beans or some good ole Spam—food that can be served cold?

I guess it’s just a matter of tradition. Snow is forecast. We buy bread and milk. Somebody thought it was a good idea somewhere along the way.

Sometimes it’s worth asking, “Why?” “Why do we do what we do?” So ask, “Why?” as you listen to life and make a life, not just a living today.

3 Comments:

At 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is funny, that of all days, that this is the story. This morning, in our small group, this same question was asked. As most times when this question is asked, the topic quickly went to "Why do bad things happen to good people." Well, after listening quietly for several minutes, I chimmed in and asked if God's puts things on us, to show us his love and trust? The room went silent and no one said anything. So, for me, no, I don't ask why, but instead, I thank God for being there for me.

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Listen To Life said...

Seems to me you do ask "Why?" Steve. You asked, "Why do we traditionally think about the challenge of good/evil in one way?" And you answered your own question with, "Here's another way of thinking about it..."

Good for you, Steve!

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Listen To Life said...

Seems to me you do ask "Why?" Steve. You asked, "Why do we traditionally think about the challenge of good/evil in one way?" And you answered your own question with, "Here's another way of thinking about it..."

Good for you, Steve!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home