Enter your Email to Sign up for Dr. Joey's Today's Story


Powered by FeedBlitz

Monday, February 28, 2005

Were you free for the Super Bowl?

Like most of us, I watched the Super Bowl earlier this month. We had some friends over. My wife made a delicious meal. And we settled in the family room in time to watch the pre-game show. And I’m sure glad we did!

The most touching moment for me during the entire extravaganza was when the veterans were honored. Various groups marched onto the field proudly as the announcer called their names. Remember now, some of the World War II veterans fought for freedom over 60 years ago so some of these guys shuffled more than they walked. But they were still proud to have served their country, and stood at attention to the best of their ability.

As I sat there watching these heroes honored, I thought about all of the heroes who died for the cause of freedom, the friends and relatives of these men and women who paid the ultimate price. And I thought about how differently life would be without their sacrifice. America and a large part of the rest of the world may not be free to watch the Super Bowl were it not for these heroes. Thank God today for your freedom as you listen to life and make a life.

2 Comments:

At 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Joey,
A big AMEN my brother. As a thrice wounded Marine in Vietnam, I can personally tell you how much war veterans appreciate being recognized for their sacrifices. The true heroes of course were the ones that didn't return home.

We need to give special recognition to those unsung heroes who returned from all wars with disabilities as a result of the misfortunes of war.
Veterans you often see that face life from a wheel chair or with a missing limb. Those who find it impossible to lead a normal life due to the haunting memories they still live with every day. These special veterans should be specifically recognized with an official holiday of their own. In my opinion, these are the one's we need to personally thank the most. I believe a "Disabled American Veteran's Day" would be equally as important as a lot of other holidays we celebrate here in the United States, don't you? Here's a n old saying that sums it all up in laymen's terms, so simple yet profound. "Enjoying your freedom? Thank a veteran".

 
At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also watched the Super Bowl with a friend and we both thought it was the best pre-game show ever. My father served our country in WWII. Until his death in 2000, he was always telling us children how much it meant to him to be able to serve his country.. He was so proud to be an American soldier. He would have been willing to give his life for his family and country to protect our freedom. I thought of him as I watched these proud veterans who served with him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home