Enter your Email to Sign up for Dr. Joey's Today's Story


Powered by FeedBlitz

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

"Is today your birthday?"


Well, as if yesterday weren’t challenging enough for me to realize that yes, I’ve been alive long enough to be married 25 years, and that yes, my wife really does have that much grace and patience, yesterday also presented another challenge for me. Our first-born daughter turned 20 years old yesterday.

I guess if I realize that I’m old enough to be married 25 years, then the reality of my being old enough to have a daughter who’s no longer a teenager should be easy. But it’s not. In my mind, she’s just learning to ride her bike or playing the lead role in the first-grade Christmas play or giggling about a middle-school boy or going to her first prom.

To help me get over this time warp experience, she recently told me, "Daddy, you realize that after my birthday, you’ll no longer be able to say ‘my teenaged daughters’ because I won’t be a teenager any more."

"Gee thanks," I mumbled. But you know, I’m really proud of her. She’s accomplished a lot in her 20 years. And her future is really bright. So, no worries! I’m just thanking God once again for the gift we named Rebekah!

2 Comments:

At 12:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Daddy. I'm proud to have a father like you.

 
At 1:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not only did your article make me feel old yesterday, this one does also. I remember Ramie babysitting for Rebekah many years ago. I know you are as proud of her as I am of my daughter. She is lucky to have such wonderful parents. Happy Birthday, Rebekah!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home