Enter your Email to Sign up for Dr. Joey's Today's Story


Powered by FeedBlitz

Sunday, January 07, 2007

"Do you decorate?"


I really love the Christmas and New Year’s holidays what with all of the decorations. You go to an office building, there are decorations. You go shopping, there are decorations. You drive through a neighborhood, there are many fine examples of exterior illumination displays that would make Griswold envious. Even some truckers hang wreaths on the front of their rigs to celebrate.

But then all the decorations come down and are put back into their out-of-the-way hiding places, destined to gather dust until next season. Everything looks rather plain, doesn’t it? Even barren of anything that resembles a celebration.

And that’s why every year I leave out some decorations. I know it may look rather strange to some people for me to have Santa Claus figurines on a table, or the nativity scene on my desk or an angel hanging in a window or a candle in the window. But I leave a decoration or two out to remind me that I can celebrate God’s love all year long as I listen to life and make a life, not just a living. And you can, too!

1 Comments:

At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, love celebrating Christmas all year round. For many years now our family has left the nativity set up on our mantle all year long. It's a good reminder of the reason for every day of every year.
Last year we also chose to leave our Christmas tree up year round. It was for a most practicle reason: When we took it out of the box and put it together and "fluffed" the branches out, the box it came in was no longer big enough to "fold" it back up into. It looks beautiful in our large tall-ceilinged living room, and it saves having to redecorate it every year. Now we just add new ornaments and things to it as we wish.
(In addition, we also have two leather starps of authentic horse sleigh bells hangin from either side of our mantle, courtesy of my husband's late uncle, that stay up, too.)
I just love Christmas. Can you tell?
Harriet Wilkes

 

Post a Comment

<< Home