Enter your Email to Sign up for Dr. Joey's Today's Story


Powered by FeedBlitz

Thursday, July 27, 2006

"How's your vision?"


I sit at my computer for a long time on some days, like when I’m writing these stories or working on my fourth book. And after a while, my eyes start blurring from the strain. I asked an optometrist friend what to do about it. He suggested I look up and away from the monitor periodically.

So I’m trying that and it seems to help. I look out the window first, gazing at the bird feeder, watching the cardinals jockey for the best feeding position. After a moment, I look farther out at the horse pasture and observe the horses grazing or playing or napping. After another moment, I stare up in the sky, hoping to see a hawk circling in search of lunch. Then finally, I cast my eyes as far as I can see, to a small mountain range and check out how clear the air is.

Then I come back to the computer and stare at the blinking cursor, waiting patiently for more words to appear. The next time you feel strained by life, change your range of vision. Look up. Look out. Farther than you normally do. Stare into the heavens and imagine what God is doing. Listen to life with your eyes as you make a life today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home