Enter your Email to Sign up for Dr. Joey's Today's Story


Powered by FeedBlitz

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

"Do you feel mowed down by life's problems?"

One summer, I decided that the shrubs at one end of our home had grown too tall. I decided to cut them back, down to a stump.

So I got out the chainsaw and cut back the shrubs. It took a while because they were tall and thick, but eventually I got down to the main trunk. All I left was a stump.

Our girls asked, "Daddy, why did you kill the bushes?"

"I didn't kill them. I cut them back," I said.

"No, Daddy, you killed them."

"Watch them,” I said. “Soon you'll see tiny green shoots coming out of them. And by this time next year, they'll be covered with greenery."

"No, they won't, Daddy. You killed them."

Well, the next spring arrived, and slowly but surely, green shoots emerged from those dead stumps. Just a few at first, then more, and soon they were full.

Sometimes we feel cut off from God, mowed down by problems. Sometimes you may be afraid that your spirit won’t come back to life. When you do, listen to life and keep the faith. You will make a life again.

2 Comments:

At 12:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a good reminder that God's grace often takes the stumps of our lives and brings them to blossom and blessing!
Recently I cut down overgrown bushes in front of my house that I did NOT want to come back. I had planted the wrong type of shubbery for the space available, and I wanted to be rid of them. However, they kept sprouting from the roots.
I am reminded that I must be careful what I plant in my spiritual life, too. When "weeds" take root, getting rid of them is very difficult!

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Listen To Life said...

I know what you mean Robert. We have a bush on the corner of our home that was much too large for the space the previous owners put it in. So I cut it back several years ago, and that stump still--even after repeated applications of herbicide--sends up shoots.

It's like those hardy folks who headed out West in America used to say--Choose your rut well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home